Maalaala Mo Kaya - The Ninoy and Cory Aquino Story

For 2 Saturdays, ABS-CBN showed the story of my grandparents and it was one of those few adaptations that really meant a lot to me. I wanted to see how Bea Alonzo and Piolo Pascual would portray my grandparents. I know that the harder task was to act as my Lolo Ninoy and I think Piolo did good. It's really difficult to pull off impersonating my grandfather but I think Piolo did an awesome job.

Bea on the other hand was superb. Sure Lola's not tisay and all that but Bea somehow showed traits and mannerisms that my Lola would do. That's just my opinion. There were several instances that I really remembered my Lola. I could imagine my Lola's sacrifices for my Lolo and the family. That made me cry because I remembered how genuine of a person my Lola was. That was just part 1! 

Sure the show wasn't 100% accurate since you have to spice up the boring parts for television. I thought it was pretty good. My Mom mentioned that they didn't have a Volkswagen Kombi. My Lolo did well at mahjong though. That's why my great grandmother liked him since he charmed his way in mahjong. 

Last Saturday's episode was the tearjerker. It was all because of my Lola. When they showed clips of my Lola in the end, that was when my tears came down. I didn't get to know my Lolo since he died before I was born. I'm sad when I see clips of August 21. But the clips of August 5 are the ones that get me... 

I was talking to my friends at the office and they also cried. I even got a text saying "grabe naman, kakaiyak naman to..." I'm not sure how many people tuned in but I think a lot did! I have to mention Jodi's performance as Tita Kris, galing! Kuha niya! Hahaha!

But the most important mention I have to put here is my Mom's VO. I think she did a splendid job as a narrator. To add, Tita Kris was coaching my Mom at the ABS studios. :) I'm proud of my Mom! :)

For those who watched the 2 episodes, I hope you got inspired, touched, or moved somehow. My grandparents are my heroes. In the end, they put country before family. It was the sacrifices they made that defined them. They were exceptional people who just wanted to serve... They believed that we Filipinos deserved a home that we can be proud of. They believed that we  Filipinos are worth living, sacrificing, and dying for...