Book Review: Dark Flame by Alyson Noel

Dark Flame is the fourth book of The Immortals series by Alyson Noel. I'm not going to lie, it took me over a month to finish this book. Partly because of school responsibilities and partly because I really did struggle in reading this book.

Two of the things I noted when I was reading this book were:

  • Alyson Noel took love triangles into a whole different level. In fact, she changed the triangle. She created a love SQUARE! One girl and three guys fighting to have her heart and trust.
  • The other thing I noted was the absurdity of how one girl can be so stinking stupid. I said it again and again, Ever is the most idiotic character in a book I've read. She makes the wrong decisions and just so hard on herself, it's really annoying. It was also the reason why I had such a hard time getting through this book.
This book really lived up to its name - it really was dark and depressing for the most part. It was such a blur to me because I went days when I put down the book and didn't pick it up until ... well, now and went on to finish it. The darkness and the insecurities and the doubts really bothered me but at the same time, I think it is what makes Ever her true self. She's far from perfect and she has Damen who truly cares and loves her and yet she's too obsessed with the antidote and not making mistakes that she ends up making all kinds of blunders anyway.

Towards the end of the book, I was SO MAD at Jude. If you've read this book, you know exactly what I'm talking about. He had no right to do what he did.

Roman was shown in a different light in this book. I was glad that there was that moment where Ever saw his background in the Great Halls of Learning. I think the author did a great job building his character in that way.

Am I the only one that is annoyed that Sabine is still in Ever's life as a full pledged human? Haha, I feel like there's all this immortality and craziness about elixirs that humans don't seem to exist anymore. And the mere fact that I'm reminded that they still do doesn't sit well with me.

Finally, Haven is crazy. I don't like her at all. She's stubborn and just won't listen to reason. She's hell bent on making Ever and Damen's life miserable.

Now, my usual quotes and scenes :)
Damen: "My feelings for you are not conditional. I don't judge you. I don't lose patience with you. I don't punish you. I just love you. That's all. Pure and simple. You have no reason to hide anything from me -- ever. Understood? I'm not going anywhere. I'll always be here for you. And if you need anything, find yourself in a bind, or in over your head, all you have to do is ask and I'll be right there to bail you out."
Ava: "When you focus on what you fear -- you get more of what you fear. When you focus on what you don't want -- you get more of what you don't want. When you focus on attempting to control others -- you attract more of being controlled. You attention to them brings more of them, and more like them, into your life. Imposing your will upon others in order to persuade them to do something they're normally unwilling to do -- well, not only does it not work but it also has a way of boomeranging right back at you."
 Haven: "You know, Ever, in every relationship, there's always someone who loves more, right?"
Roman: "What? You think I've never done anything nice?
Ever: "I think it's been a while. You're probably a bit rusty by now."
 Even if you haven't read this book, let me know in the comments:
What would you do if you know you and the person you love the most - your soulmate - can never touch each other again?


If you want to read my reviews of the earlier books in this series, click the links below :)
1: Evermore
2: Blue Moon
3: Shadowland