RANT: Why I Hate Group Projects

Ever since I started working in group projects in college (perhaps even in high school), I just never liked it. I prefer to work alone and carry the weight because I know I won't let myself down. I can't say the same if I'm working in a group. Check out my specific reasons on why I hate group projects.

  • Social Loafing - this is a phenomenon that just seem like a cool thing to do for some reason. I absolutely dislike group members who are freeloaders and expect for everyone to simply hand a good grade to them for doing absolutely nothing.
  • Incompetence - some people simply can't do things right. It makes me wonder how they get to where they are if they can't produce a decent paper to save their lives. It boggles my mind that half of the students on campus don't know proper grammar and spelling. I just don't understand how they are succeeding in their classes that way.
  • Foreign exchange students - incompetence and confusion mixed together. I don't want to be prejudiced or anything, but I just can't put my trust on you if you can't speak or write the language. What's worse is that they know they need help, but yet they refuse to ask.
  • Detached member - it drives me crazy that people would ask to be in a group with you and then goes on to refuse to cooperate and communicate. These kinds of people only show up at the day of the presentation, write their papers at a bare minimum, and then proceed to rudely interrupt you when you're answering a question from the audience.
  • Procrastinators - need I say more? Seriously, I suggest to the group members that we start the project a month early so that we wouldn't have that much stress when it comes close to the deadline. Instead, they decide to finally do the project 3 days before the deadline. And then all that could go wrong, goes wrong and people like me are the ones that carries the weight of everyone.
  • Plagiarizers - I absolutely cannot stand plagiarizers. This goes mostly for people who have English as their second language. It's hard for them to formulate their own thoughts so they simply copy and paste. I don't understand why they even bother to try if all they're going to do is cheat. English is not my first language but I've managed to learn and comprehend the language enough that I can say I'm competent to get the job done. Is it so hard to put in that effort?
There you have it folks. One of my rare rants. Let me know your thoughts in the comments. Agree or disagree, just be polite :)