Let's Talk Friday: Taking Out The Trash


Let's Talk Friday is a discussion post where I find a topic to discuss and talk about my opinions on the subject. I am in no way an expert, so please, take this with a grain of salt as they say. Don't hesitate to voice your opinion (or advice) in the comments and let's start the discussion!

This week, I want to discuss something that has been a personal issue for a long time: Taking out the trash.

How I grew up...
I grew up in the Philippines in a middle-class family. What that meant was we had a maid that cleaned after us and took care of the chores. Washing the dishes and taking out the trash weren't things that we had to worry about.

When I immigrated to the United States, I had to do the chores that I never needed to learn when I was younger. I don't mind washing the dishes most of the time. What I had issues with was taking out the trash.


Moving to college...
I've lived with roommates ever since I moved out to go to college. I always had a dislike for taking out smelly, overflowing trash. My first job was at a restaurant and one of my jobs was to take out the big bag of trash. Can you believe how spoiled I was growing up? Here's proof: I asked a co-worker to take out the trash for me because I couldn't lift it and was too short to do it myself. Ridiculous, right? The co-worker was not very happy with me. Long story short, I only lasted 2 weeks before they politely told me that they do not want me there anymore...


Anyway, my point is, I don't like trash. However, ever since I moved into the apartment that I am living in now, I've noticed significant changes in myself. I cook more, I wash my dishes right away, and I take out the trash. There is a problem, however. I am not willing to take out my roommates' trash. We only have a really small kitchen trash bin and it is usually full. Even worse, my roommates would have a little party and the whole dining/kitchen area is flooded with trash (okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea). Nonetheless, you won't see me taking out their trash. It would sit there and make the apartment smell for days.


My problem with that is this: the dumpster is right by the parking lot. All of us walk by the dumpster when going to our cars. What is so hard about taking out the trash whenever they leave the apartment? I've even mentioned it to them. But alas, no one listens to me. I just keep my mouth shut and have my own plastic of kitchen trash that I keep in my room.


So, I've rambled on long enough. What's your take on this issue?